Contact Us

Consumer Long Term Care Information

Alternatives to Facilities

When a loved one begins to needs more care than the family is able to provide, facility placement is just one option for meeting that person's needs. The State of Arkansas also offers alternatives that let the loved one remain at home and receive care and services there.

In-home services are available primarily through the ARChoices program of the Division of Aging, Adult & Behavioral Health Services. For more information about programs for the aging in Arkansas, visit the  Aging & Adult section.

Choosing a Facility

While alternatives to facilities are available and often appropriate, for many facility placement is necessary and preferable. Learn how to choose the facility that is the best for your loved one and you.

Choosing a Long Term Care Facility

Find a Long Term Care Facility

Search by name or location or use the Arkansas map to find facilities by county.

Long Term Care Facility Search by Name or Location
Long Term Care Facility Search by County Map

Minimum staffing for Long Term Care Facilities

Minimum staffing requirements are included in the regulations that pertain to each type of facility. To view them, please go to Regulations, view or download the regulations document for the type of facility that interests you, and navigate to the staffing section.

The Office of Long Term Care has created a Minimum Staffing Calculator for nursing facilities that you can download and install on your computer.  To learn more, click the link below.

Click Title for Link Type
Minimum Staffing Calculator LINK

Facility Report Cards

Medicare's Nursing Home Compare website lets you get information about nursing homes, including the results of the most recent survey in the Online Survey, Certification, and Reporting (OSCAR) database.

That site also offers detailed information about:

Click Title for Link Type
Medicare's Nursing Home Compare | Opens in New Window WEB


When the Office of Long Term Care inspects or surveys nursing homes, any failures of the facility to meet regulatory requirements are noted on a form known as a 2567. This form specifies the regulation that was violated with a tag. It also notes the scope and severity of the violation.

Each nursing home is required to post its most recent 2567 in an area where residents and their families and visitors can see it easily. Learn how to understand these important reports.

Click Title for Link
Violation Reports | About 2567 Forms

Getting Financial Assistance

To receive Medicaid-funded, long-term care facility services and alternative services, such as ARChoices for seniors or TEFRA for children, the applicant must meet both medical need criteria and financial criteria.

A medical needs assessment documenting why services are necessary must be submitted by the physician and approved by OLTC staff nurses and physicians before payment. An appeals-and-hearing process is in place for persons who are denied services based on medical criteria. For more information concerning medical criteria, call 501-320-6398.

Financial eligibility is determined by the Arkansas Department of Human Services' Division of County Operations and not the Office of Long Term Care. If you have questions about financial eligibility or the kinds of services offered by Medicaid, you may:

Filing a Complaint

The Office of Long Term Care investigates complaints against facilities as well as allegations of abuse or neglect of residents, theft of residents' property, and poor quality of resident care. Investigations are confidential, and you do not have to give your name when you file a complaint. If you choose to give your name, the Office of Long Term Care informs you when the investigation is completed.

You can file a complaint by telephone, fax, e-mail, or letter:

When you send a complaint, please provide as much of the following information as possible:

If you want the investigator to contact you, you must provide your name, address, and telephone number or e-mail address.

The State of Arkansas also has an Ombudsman Program to assist residents and families. Link to the website below.

Click Title for Link Type
Arkansas Long Term Care Ombudsman Program | Opens in New Window WEB

Family Council Guide

The Family Council Guide is for nursing home staff members and residents' family members. It offers guidelines for organizing a new family council or reorganizing an existing council. These guidelines are not mandatory; they're just intended to aid you in meeting the goals of your family council.

Click Title for Link Type
Family Council Guide PDF


TEFRA is a category of Medicaid that provides care to disabled children in their homes rather than in institutions.

Click Title for Link
TEFRA Information and Forms
Arkansas Department of Human Services
Arkansas Department of Human Services

Arkansas Department
of Human Services
(501) 682-1001

TTY: 1-800-285-1131 or dial 711 for Arkansas Relay Service

Google Map | Contact Us